Saturday, May 31, 2008

Shaolin Temple

I finally took my tour yesterday to Shaolin temple. It is about two hours from Zhengzhou. I think you would be better off staying in Dengfeng for a night. I booked the tour through my hotel so it was your typical Chinese tour complete with flag waving tour guide. Everyone on the tour seemed excited that a laowai foreigner had joined their group. In movie star fashion people wanted to take their pictures with me. It was fun at first but it did get a bit tiring as the day worn on. Another guy said how good I was at taking pictures so I had to take his picture at almost every attraction with his camera. It was impossible to understand any of the guide s explanations but it was fun trying to chat with the other people in the group. Everyone wants to know where you are from what you are doing in China and if you are married. I think for most Asians it is difficult to understand why someone would want to travel by themselves. At least in China you are never alone for long We visit! ed a couple of other temples before going to Shaolin Temple after lunch. Lunch was at the Fair Restaurant . The temple itself was fairly ordinary. I caught the end of a kungfu performance. The theatre was packed so I could only see from the back. Young students actually train at the temple and watching them train outside was perhaps the most enjoyable away from the throngs of Chinese and Korean tourists. I caught the overnight train to Xian where I arrived at in the morning where I have spent the last couple of hours in McDonalds which is open hours. I think this is Songyue Pagoda. One of the oldest pagodas in China. My guide for the day. Unfortunately she didn t speak any English. My Olympic Games Shaolin Travel Guide Xian Leave a Reply To reply to this article please enter your name and write your comment in the textbox below. Some HTML tags are allowed but others will be stripped if you enter them in your comments

Source: http://2008gamesbeijing.com/shaolin-temple! /


Read another interesting blog news.

No comments: