Tuesday, September 18, 2007

And I Didn’t Think Barry Manilow Could Suck Worse

Did you see the story about Barry Manilow refusing to go on the TV show “The View” because he doesn’t like Elisabeth Hasselbeck’s political views? Give me a break!!! Is this where political discourse is heading in this country?

In an exclusive statement to TMZ, Barry says, “I strongly disagree with her views. I think she’s dangerous and offensive. I will not be on the same stage as her.”

Oh, please! I am, admittedly, not a “View” viewer, but from everything I have seen of the clips on YouTube, interviews, and her stint on “Survivor”, Elisabeth Hasselbeck seems very nice and not threatening or dangerous in the least. Plus, there are four hosts (or is it hostesses?) on “the View” and Elisabeth is the only one of the four with what can be considered even close to “conservative views”. I have always admired her guts for being on the show and expressing her opinion while the other three pound on her….especially when Rosie was a member of the show. Speaking of Rosie, it turns out that Manilow is close friends with Rosie….oh, now the truth begins to come out. It seems more likely to me that Manilow won’t go on the show because Hasselbeck had the gall to stand up to Rosie….the whole reason why she threw a tantrum and left the show earlier than scheduled.

I’m sure “the View” isn’t heartbroken over the loss of Manilow as a guest, anyway. I mean, how relevant is the guy today anyway? Not very, I think. For some reason him and Rod Stewart want to hang on and try to stay a bit in the limelight by singing other peoples’ songs….Manilow’s latest attempt is “Greatest Songs of the Seventies”. No, thanks….his idea of the greatest songs of the Seventies and mine are worlds apart. At least Rod Stewart was cool in the 60’s and 70’s, so I overlook his work from the 80’s and 90’s and all of the Motown cover albums he puts out today but Manilow has never been cool.

But seriously, I do hope this is not the direction we are going in. I mean, if I took this kind of attitude, I’d be screwed…..I love movies and music, and 99% of Hollywood and the music industry seem to have political views that starkly contrast to mine. I don’t like to discuss politics and religion most of the time because those are things that people are the most passionate about and are really unlikely to change their minds about….so what’s the point? If you are set in your ways and I’m set in mine, why even bother? Trying to change someone’s mind about their views on politics and/or religion is about as productive as trying to teach a dog to read “War and Peace”. But if I do get into a discussion on these topics, I will at least listen to what the other party has to say and take it into consideration…….not put my fingers in my ears and yell, “LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, I CAN’T HEAR YOU!!!”

No comments: